An elderly man died and 12 people were displaced after a fire broke out in a four-plex in the Arden-Arcade area early Saturday morning, according to the Metro Fire Department.
Firefighters responded to the scene after reports came in of smoke coming out of a four-plex unit on the 800 block of Cathedral Court . When they arrived, firefighters were able to get inside and extinguish a fire in a downstairs unit.
Officials estimate the damage to be around $25,000. The Red Cross is assisting those who were displaced.
How the fire started is under investigation.
Fire officials urge residents to make sure they have working smoke alarms in their homes, to keep space heaters at least three feet away from anything that may catch flame and to use flame-less candles whenever possible.